In accordance with Article 10 of the Statute of the Serbian Medical Society, at the session of the Assembly of the Academy of Medical Sciences of the Serbian Medical Society held on May 17, 2019, the following statute was adopted:
OF THE ACADEMY OF MEDICAL SCIENCES
SERBIAN MEDICAL SOCIETY
This Statute regulates: the goal, tasks and work of the Academy of Medical Sciences of the Serbian Medical Society (hereinafter: the Academy).
The Academy of Medical Sciences is a organizational part of the Serbian Medical Society(SMS)
The Academy was established at the ninetieth annual Assembly of the SMS, on December 15, 1976, by the Statutory Decision on the establishment of Medical Academy of Serbian Medical Society.
According of the Statute of the SMS adopted on December 28, 2018, the Academy performs its activities under the name "Academy of Medical Sciences of the Serbian Medical Association". The residence of the Academy is in Belgrade.
The Academy has its own logo, a round seal, a rectangular stamp on which the text is written in Serbian in Cyrillic: Academy of Medical Sciences of the Serbian Medical Association. In the middle of the seal is Aesculapius' staff with a snake above the open book and the date of the founding of the Academy.
The insignia of the Academy are protected and can be used in accordance with the provisions of the Statute.
GOAL AND TASKS
The Academy was founded with the aim of developing scientific research work in all areas of medicine, dentistry and other activities that are of importance for the improvement of health care and the improvement of the health condition of the population.
The Academy performs its activities in compliance with the Statute of the SMS.
Academy performs the following tasks:
1. Monitors and encourages the development of fundamental and clinical scientific work in all fields of medicine and thus contributes to the constant development of medicine.
2. Determines doctrinal positions on certain issues in the field of medicine, dentistry and other related sciences necessary for the development of scientific and professional work in these fields.
3. Through its activity it encourages the development of scientific research work in healthcare and other institutions.
4. Establishes full cooperation with the competent authorities in the realization of its program
5. Proposes programs of scientific work and health and education methods (especially those of nationwide importance) to the competent bodies and institutions in the field of science and health.
6. On the basis of professional and scientific achievements, which are obtained by the methods of modern scientific-research work, gives proposals for harmonization of plans and programs of professional and scientific training of healthcare professionals.
7. Performs activities of continuous education of doctors, dentists and other healthcare professionals.
8. Participates in the awareness and health education of the entire social community.
9. Cooperates with other institutions in the country and abroad in order to facilitate faster implementation of the results of scientific research in practice.
10. Collaborates with other related academies abroad.
11. Publishes professional and scientific publications, agenda on the work of the Academy and has its own library.
All members of the Academy are primarily members of the SMS from where they are elected for Academy according to their prominent career and by their contribution in advancing medical science and healthcare.
The members of Academy are elected from among the most prominent doctors and dentists who have contributed to advancing of medical science and healthcare. All members of the Academy are primarily members of the SMS.
The Academy consists of full, associate, honorary, foreign honorary and affiliate members.
The decision on election to the membership of the Academy is made by the Assembly of the Academy.
A candidate who has not been elected for a member of the Academy has no right of appeal. The proposer of the candidate has the right to appeal in case of a significant violation of the election procedure.
The proposer submits the complaint to the Presidency of the Academy within 15 days of receiving the election results.
The Presidency decides on appeals at the first session.
A candidate who has not been elected to the membership of the Academy, i.e. whose candidacy has been rejected, may be re-nominated at the next election assemblies of the Academy.
The proposal for the associate member of the Academy is submitted to the Presidency by at least three regular members of the Academy, the Scientific Group of the Academy, the Vojvodina Medical Society of SMS, the Kosovo and Metohija Society of SMS , Specialist sections and Branches of SMS.
Only SMS member who have been active for at least ten years can be nominated as associate member.
The proposal for the membership of the Academy must contain biographical data, list of references and argumentation of the proposer from which it can be seen that the candidate is active in the work of the SMS and meets the requirements of this statute, i.e. has scientific, professional and moral qualities to be a member of the Academy.
Full members of the Academy are elected from among active associate members. The proposal for the election of regular members is submitted to the Presidency by the Scientific Groups of the Academy or at least three regular members.
A member of the Academy may nominate one candidate for an associate, full-, honorary, foreign honorary, or affiliate member.
The primary procedure for the selection of candidates is performed by Scientific Groups of the Academy.
The procedure for the election of new members of the Academy is initiated by the Presidency. Election announcement precisely states the conditions for the election of, associate, full, honorary, foreign honorary, or affiliate members, the number of members to be elected, as well as the deadline for submitting proposals. The notice is published in the daily press, on the website of the Academy, and is delivered to all specialist Sections and Branches of the SMS, as well as to all members of the Academy.
Proposals are submitted on the application form which is an integral part of the statute.
Proposals submitted after the deadline specified in the election announcement shall not be considered.
Received proposals are submitted to the appropriate Scientific Groups of the Academy by Presidency of Academy. The Scientific Groups delegates the reviewers for each candidate who submits written report to the President of the Scientific Group. Based on the written and oral report of the reviewer at a special session of the Scientific Group, candidates are elected by the principle of secret ballot. Number of candidates is maximum 50% higher than the number of members who will be elected at the Assembly. If some candidates have the same number of marginal votes, they are all proposed by the Scientific Groups for further election procedures. The proposed lists of the Scientific Group are submitted to the Scientific Council and the Presidency, which determines the final list of candidates for election at the Assembly of the Academy.
Status of members of the Academy:
An active member is a r full and associated member who is active in achieving the goals and tasks of the Academy, attends Assembly sessions, participates in the work of the Scientific Group of the Academy, organizes scientific meetings, attends scientific meetings organized by other members of the Academy and participates in other activities organized according to Plan and Program of the Academy.
Active members have the right to vote, be elected to the working bodies of the Academy and to have any membership benefits that may be determined by the Presidency. The active member pays the annual membership fee in the amount determined by the Presidency.
Honorary members of the Academy who are members of the SMS have the right to vote, but do not participate in the governing bodies of the Academy. They can be members of Advisory Boards.
Honorary members of the Academy who are not members of the SMS, and were elected in accordance with the statute of the Academy, do not have the right to vote or participate in the governing bodies of the Academy. They do not pay the membership fee, but they can use the benefits according to a special decision of the Presidency.
Honorary members elected on the basis of the previous Regulations of the Academy retain their status.
Foreign members who do not have Serbian citizenship, and who have constant cooperation with the medical community in Serbia and contribute to the international affirmation of the Academy, do not pay membership fees, do not have the right to vote and participate in governing bodies but can be members of Advisory Boards. While participating in the work of the Academy, they enjoy the conveniences determined by a special decision of the Presidency.
Affiliate members are experts who are not doctors and cooperate with the Academy in achieving its goals and tasks.
Suspension of membership
Membership is suspended if any member is not able to permanently participate in the work of the Academy for objective reasons.
Membership in the Academy is terminated: due to non-payment of the membership fee of SMS and the Academy, if member does not comply with the statute, due to breaking of the reputation of the SMS and the Academy or when he/she is convicted by low for any criminal activity. A member of the Academy may withdraw from the membership without stating a reason.
The decision on termination of membership is made by the Assembly of the Academy, at the proposal of the Presidency.
ELECTION PROCEDURE AND NUMBER OF ACADEMY MEMBERS
A doctor or dentist who is a member of the SMS and an associate member of the Academy for at least two previous election periods and meets the following conditions may be elected a full member of the Academy:
- a doctor who had active work as an associate member of the Academy, organized scientific meetings and was an active member of the SMS,
- a doctor who achieves significant results in fundamental and clinical research as well as in encouraging and coordinating the development of scientific and professional work,
- a doctor who made a measurable contribution in training of scientific and professional healthcare workers.
The newly elected full member is obliged to hold a lecture or organize a scientific meeting within a period of two years after the election. Membership elections become effective after the introductory lectures are held, i.e. the organization of scientific meetings.
A doctor and dentist who is a member of SMS and meets the following conditions can be elected as an associate member of the Academy:
- a doctor who achieved notable scientific research results especially in the studying of key problems of nationwide interest,
- a doctor who achieves significant success in organizing and planning the development of health care and health services,
- a doctor who makes a significant contribution to the improvement of teaching and who achieves significant success in the education and professional development of medical workers,
- a doctor who achieves significant success as a public health worker in resolving issues that are of important interest for the development and improvement of the health condition and health care of the population,
- a doctor who actively works in Sections and Branches of different specialties,
The newly elected associate member becomes a full member of the Academy after the introductory lecture (held within two years after the election) and after receiving certificate of membership of the Academy.
Full members of the Academy who have achieved a notable activity in the work of the Academy in the previous period, but who, for justified reasons, are no longer able to participate in the work of the Academy, are elected as honorary members.
The proposal for the election of an honorary member of the Academy shall be submitted to the Presidency by at least three regular members of the Academy, a Scientific Group of the Academy or the Scientific Council of the Academy.
Affiliate members of the Academy can be experts who are not doctors (biochemists, molecular biologists, geneticists, pharmacists, veterinarians and others) who have made a significant contribution to the development of medical science, profession and health care and contribute to the realization of the Academy's goals and tasks.
The proposal for the election of an affiliate member of the Academy shall be submitted to the Presidency by at least three regular members of the Academy, a Scientific Group of the Academy or the Scientific Council of the Academy.
Honorary and affiliate members are proclaimed by the regular or exceptional Assembly of the Academy on the proposal of the Presidency.
A candidate from abroad who has made a significant contribution to medical science, cooperated with the Academy and other scientific and healthcare institutions in our country can be elected a foreign member.
Candidates for foreign honorary members must meet the requirements for election of a full member.
The foreign honorary and affiliate member is awarded the certificate about membership after the lecture or after the organization of a scientific meeting.
The number of full and associated members of the Academy is 1% maximum of the total number of doctors and dentists with SMS membership.
RIGHTS AND DUTIES
The rights of the members of the Academy are based on the Statute of the Academy and SMS.
Members of the Academy, in accordance with their status, have the right to participate in the work of the Bodies and Organs of the Academy and to use for their work all the benefits provided by the Academy.
Members of the Academy are obliged to comply with the Statute of Academy and SMS, decisions and conclusions issued by the Bodies of the Academy and the SMS.
Members of the Academy are obliged to actively participate in the work of all Bodies and Organs of the Academy as well as SMS in which they are elected as delegates of the Academy, to organize scientific meetings and lectures and other forms of planned activities arising from this statute.
ORGANIZATION AND GOVERNANCE OF THE ACADEMY
Governance and organization units of the Academy:
- President, Honorary President, Vice President
- Secretary General
- Scientific Council
- Scientific Groups
- Branches of Academy
- Boards and commissions
The Assembly of the Academy consists of all full , associate and honorary members of the Academy.
The quorum for the meeting of the Assembly is determined by Presidency on the basis of the records of individual members.
If there is no quorum during the Assembly (although all members are informed) the second session of the Assembly will be held, regardless of the quorum, and all decisions made by majority will be valid.
During the Assembly sessions, minutes are kept, which should be signed by the chairman and the notary. The minutes should contain: time and place of the event, number of present members, and data on the work of the Assembly. The detailed procedure of the Assembly is regulated by special instruction.
The Assembly of the Academy performs the following tasks:
- adopts the Statute of the Academy and makes its amendments
- adopts the Procedure for its work and amends them
- decides about establishing of Scientific Groups, Branches, Committees and Commissions of the Academy
- adopts other general acts, conclusions, recommendations and decisions
- elects an honorary president
- elects full, associated, honorary, foreign honorary and affiliate members of the Academy
- decides on the termination of membership in the Academy
- adopts the work plan and program of the Academy
- elects members of the Presidency of the Academy and the Scientific Council
- considers and adopts the report of the Presidency about the work of the Academy
- decides on other issues within the scope of work of the Academy if this Statute does not authorize another body of the Academy
The Assemblies of the Academy are held at least once a year, and elections for the Bodies of the Academy, as a rule, every four years.
Invitation for the Assembly is delivered to the members 30 days before the Assembly, and in urgent cases at least 10 days before.
A session of the Assembly may be held if more than half of the members of the working quorum are present. Decisions are made by a majority of the present members of the Assembly of the Academy.
Sessions of the Assembly are convened by the President of the Academy based on the decision of the Presidency of the Academy, at the request of at least one third of the regular and associate members or at the request of the Presidency and the Assembly of the SMS.
The manner of work and all issues on the work of the Assembly are regulated in more detail by the Procedure of the Assembly of the Academy.
PRESIDENCY OF THE ACADEMY
The Presidency leads the work of the Academy in the period between the two Assemblies.
The Presidency of the Academy has 11 members. The members of the Presidency are elected by the Election Assembly on the proposal of the Scientific Groups and Branches of the Academy.
The mandate of the members of the Presidency lasts four years with the possibility of re-election. Instead of members who are unable to perform their function for any reason, the regular annual Assembly may co-opt other members from the same organizational unit, whose mandate lasts until the next election of the Presidency.
The Presidency of the Academy elects the President, Vice-President and Secretary General from among its members.
The Presidency proposes to the Assembly an Honorary President.
The Presidency of the Academy is responsible for the following tasks:
- Executes decisions, conclusions and recommendations of the Academy Assembly
- Submits to the Assembly proposals for general acts within the competence of the Assembly
- Leads the work of the Academy between two sessions
- Proposes the election of new members of the Academy
- Prepares a report on the work of the Academy and considers reports on the work of other Bodies of the Academy which submits for consideration and adoption to the Assembly
- Makes decisions on convening the Assembly and proposes the agenda
- Leads the publishing activities and makes appropriate decisions
- Elects members of the Secretariat of Scientific Groups, Committees and Commissions, on the proposal of the Scientific Council
- Appoints the Editorial Board, Editor-in-Chief of the Academy's publications
- Proposes members of the Academy to SMS organizational Bodies
- Performs other tasks on the basis of this Statute and other acts of the Academy, decisions and conclusions of the Assembly, and on the basis of the Statute, general acts and conclusions of the competent bodies of the SMS
The presidency works in sessions. Sessions are convened by the president, and in his absence by the vice president.
As a rule, the Presidency convenes its sessions at least once every three months and, if necessary, more often.
A session of the Presidency may be held if more than half of the total number of members are present.
Decisions of the Presidency are valid if votes from the majority is registered.
Minutes shall be kept during the session of the Presidency.
In case there is a need to urgently take certain measures for which the Assembly is responsible, the Presidency is authorized to take only those measures, which require the subsequent consent of the Assembly of the Academy.
SECRETARIAT OF THE ACADEMY
The Secretariat of the Academy consists of: President, Vice President, Secretary General of the Academy, President and Vice President of the Scientific Council and presidents of Scientific Groups.
The Secretariat is responsible for its work to the Presidency of the Academy. The members of the Secretariat are elected for the same period as the members of the Presidency.
The Secretariat performs the following tasks:
- Realizes decisions and conclusions of the Presidency of the Academy
- Prepares proposals and submits them to the Presidency for consideration
- Prepares a report on the work of the Academy
- Provides the necessary conditions for the work of the Academy
SCIENTIFIC COUNCIL OF THE ACADEMY
For the purpose of more efficient realization of tasks within the scope of Academy, Assembly of the Academy elects the members of the Scientific Council, which is constituted at its first session.
The presidents of Scientific Groups and Branches are members of the Scientific Council by position.
The Scientific Council has a total of 15 members.
The members of the Scientific Council are elected for the same period as the members of the Presidency.
The Scientific Council is an advisory body of the Presidency of the Academy.
The Scientific Council is responsible for the following tasks:
- Assists the Presidency in planning the activities of the Academy
- Identifies specific scientific programs
- Establishes guidelines and specific tasks with other scientific institutions
- Discusses and gives an opinion on the reports and proposals of Scientific Groups or individual members of the Academy
- Gives suggestions for improving scientific work and other tasks
- Considers and gives opinion on the financial plans of individual research projects
- Assists the Presidency in organizing scientific meetings
- Considers proposals for candidates for new members of the Academy and gives its opinion to the Presidency
The Scientific Council works in sessions. A session may be held if more than half of the members of the Scientific Council are present. Decisions are made by majority of the members present at the session.
SCIENTIFIC GROUPS, BRANCHES, BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS OF THE ACADEMY
According to the proposal of the Scientific Council, the Assembly of the Academy forms Scientific Groups according to a certain professional topic: internal medicine, surgery and multidisciplinary group. The work of Scientific Groups is coordinated by the Scientific Council.
Scientific Group for Internal Medicine consists of all members of internal medicine disciplines, the Scientific group for surgery consists of all members of surgical disciplines, and the Multidisciplinary and Preventive Scientific Group consists of members of other medical disciplines.
A member of the Academy can be a member of only one Scientific Group. The composition, organization and scope of work of Scientific Groups is determined by the founding decision of Scientific Groups.
The Presidency and the Scientific Council may form Branches, Commissions, Committees and Boards with aim to study and monitor certain issues. The number of members, the scope of work and other issues are determined by the founding decision on the formation of Branches, Commissions, Committees and Boards.
Meetings of Scientific Groups, Branches, Commissions, Committees and Boards may be held if more than one half of the members are present at the meeting, and decisions are made by a majority of those present.
The Scientific Group is led by a Secretariat consisting of: President, Vice President and Secretary. They perform the tasks set by the Presidency, the Scientific Council and the Scientific group itself, and are responsible for their work to the Presidency and the Assembly of the Academy. The mandate of the members of the Secretariat of the Scientific Groups is the same as for the members of the Presidency and the Scientific Council.
Branches may be formed by members of the Academy outside Belgrade, if at least 5 (five) members of the Academy live and work in that place or region. The Branch reviews all decisions of the Presidency, the Scientific Council and the Scientific Groups and submits its views to the relevant Scientific Groups. The Branch is managed by the President when, on the proposal of the members of the Branch, it is determined by the Presidency of the Academy. The mandate of the President and Secretary of the Branch lasts as long as the members of the Presidency of the Academy.
PRESIDENT, HONORARY PRESIDENT, VICE PRESIDENT AND SECRETARY GENERAL
Candidate for the President of the Academy may be nominated by five members of Presidency, and he is elected by the Presidency for a period of four years with the possibility of re-election.
Only full member of the Academy who have achieved notable results in achieving the goals and tasks of the Academy through his/her work can be nominated and elected as the President of the Academy.
The candidate for the President of the Academy is obliged to summit his/her work program to the members of the Presidency /Assembly.
The President is elected publicly at the sessions of the Presidency if there is one candidate. In case there are several candidates for President, the voting is done by secret ballot.
If during the election of the President none of the proposed candidates received the required majority of votes, the voting shall be repeated for the two candidates with the largest number of votes. In case that both candidates receive an equal number of votes in the repeated voting, the secret ballot shall be repeated until one candidate receives more votes.
The elected President nominates the candidate for Vice President and the Secretary General of the Academy.
Vice President is one of the presidents of the Branches of the Academy. The Secretary General is a regular active member of the Academy for many years.
The Presidency proposes to the Assembly a candidate for Honorary President of the Academy. A long-term member of the Academy and SMS is proposed for the honorary president, who has achieved significant results in achieving goals and tasks through his continuous work in leading positions.
Rights and duties of the President:
- Represents the Academy and the Presidency of the Academy with all the rights given by the Statute of the Academy
- Convenes the sessions of the Assembly and the Presidency and manages their work
- Signs all decisions and other acts brought by the Assembly and the Presidency and monitor their realization
- Consults with the Vice President and the Secretary General on the most important issues, and that consultation is mandatory when, due to urgency, he makes decisions within the competence of the Presidency for which subsequentconsent of the Presidency is required.
In case of absence of the President, all duties and rights are taken over by the Vice President or the Secretary General.
The Honorary President has the status of a life member of the Presidency and the Assembly of the Academy with the right to vote, as well as all the rights provided by the Statute of Academy.
The Secretary General implements the decisions of the Bodies of the Academy, coordinates the work of the Branches and Bodies of the Academy and assists the President in matters within his scope of work.
In the case that Secretary-General is prevented from attending, he/she shall be replaced by one of the members of the Secretariat chosen by the Secretariat.
The decision to renew the mandate is made in accordance with the Statute of the Academy.
The Secretaries of the Branches and Scientific Groups, together with the employee of the office, deal with the direct organizational affairs of the Academy and make sure that these affairs are properly managed.
The Academy is engaged in publishing.
The Academy publishes the Annual Report, and the periodical publication "Monographs of Scientific Meetings of AMN SMS " in which papers presented at scientific meetings organized by the Academy, other appropriate materials on the work of the Academy and its members are published.
The Academy may be the publisher and co-publisher of other printed or electronic publications when it is of interest of Academy.
The publishing activity is managed by Editorial Board, which consists of members of the Academy, the Editor-in-Chief and one or two assistants.
The Editor-in-Chief, Assistants Editor-in-Chief and members of the Editorial Board are elected by the Presidency of the Academy and the Scientific Council by a simple majority.
The mandate of the Editor-in-Chief and members of the Editorial Board lasts four years with the possibility of re-election.
The members of the Editorial Board are nominated by the Editor-in-Chief and are adopted at the session of the Presidency and the Scientific Council.
The Editor-in-Chief submits a periodic report to the Presidency.
Each monograph undergoes a review process. The Editorial Board appoints three reviewers and at least one is a member of the Academy.
Activity of the Academy is regularly presented to members and public by sending information about the work and activities through the Annual Report, the website, by holding various professional meetings and other events, through the media, etc. thus realizing the principle of publicity in work.
The Academy has its own Library, which is an integral part of the Library of the SMS.
OWNERSHIP AND FINANCIAL FUNCIONING
The property of the Academy consists of income.
The incomes of the Academy are:
- Funds that the Academy realizes by organizing scientific meetings, symposia, seminars, congresses and programs of continuous medical education
- Funds received from sponsors
- Membership fee
The property of the Academy is at the same time the property of the SMS and is kept in accordance with the regulations and general acts of the SMS, which are set aside in the accounting records as funds of the Academy. A special act of the SMS regulates the authorizations and the way of distribution of financial resources that are realized within the activities of the Academy.
TRANSITIONAL AND FINAL PROVISION
The Academy ceases its activity:
- If there are legal obstacles to further work by the decision of the competent state authorities
- By the decision of the Assembly of the Academy
- By the decision of the SMS Assembly as the founder
In case of termination of the activity, the property of the Academy belongs to SMS.
The statute on the work of the Academy shall be submitted to the Presidency of the SMS for adoption and upon adoption at the Assembly of the Academy become legal within 8 days of its publication on the website of the SMS.